The local studies collection, located in the Local Studies & Archives Centre, encompasses a variety of different resources: printed books, photographs, maps, newspapers and pamphlets.
These resources relate particularly to the past, present and future life of this borough and more generally to Surrey and Greater London (especially south of the Thames). We have especially strong collections of material relating to Croydon Airport and the River Wandle.
The local studies collection is on open access which means there is no need to make an appointment to use it and much of the material may be photocopied.
Photography is allowed of local studies material except the image collection. We ask that you don't use your camera's flash.
Some examples of material in the local studies collection:
- Around about 20,000 photographs of the local area dating from the 1860s onwards. B/W copy prints can be ordered
- Local newspapers dating from the 1860s
- Local directories dating from the 1860s to 1938
- Electoral registers from the 19th century to the present day
- Newspaper cuttings on selected topics dating from the 19th century
- Ordnance Survey maps (in three scales) dating from 1868 to 2010
Ancestry and Find My Past are free to use in the Local Studies & Archives Centre and all Sutton Libraries. Additionally you can access the family history sites on your laptop or tablet using the library's Free WiFi system.