Sutton Library Refurbishment Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. How long is the library closed for?
The library will be closed from Monday 13th November 2017 until Spring 2018.
2. Can I use the other libraries in the borough whilst Sutton is closed?
Yes, you can use all the other libraries in the borough as usual and Wallington and Cheam Library opening hours have been extended during the refurbishment so they will be open more late nights than usual and all day Mondays.
3. What happens about my items if they are due back whilst Sutton library is closed?
Any items that have been issued at Sutton Library from mid-October have been given an extended due date to the 3rd April to allow for the closure period.
4. I can only get to Sutton Library and do not want to travel any further but I want to return my books whilst the library is closed.
During the refurbishment, library staff will be available in the Civic Offices every morning between 9.30am and 11.30am to deal with any queries you have. There is a drop box available there if you want to return your items.
5. I always take my children to rhyme time; what are we going to do?
All other libraries have rhyme times that you can go to. We are also running extra rhyme times in Sutton at Thomas Wall Children's Centre and in Sutton College. See here for details.
6. The IT area on the ground floor looks like it might be noisy.
The main IT area on the ground floor will be in the main part of the library to encourage all users and to be accessible to all users of all ages and of all abilities. There will be quiet study areas on the first and second floors.
7. How will I know where to find a book in the new library?
Floor plans and subject areas will be clearly marked in the new library and staff will be available to help customers find what they are looking for.
8. Will there be refreshments available in the library?
Yes, the cafe will remain open on the ground floor.
9. Will there be public toilets available on the ground floor?
Yes, the staff toilets are being refurbished and will be available for both staff and customers when the library reopens. We are also providing baby changing room facilities.
10. I regularly attend some groups and activities at Sutton Library, where will they be when the library is closed?
Most groups would continue to operate from an alternative location during the closure period. Please ask the group directly for more information as these are managed independently.
11. What other branches are open on a Sunday?
The Sutton Life Centre Library is open 10am - 2pm, and Library @Phoenix is open 1pm - 4.30pm every Sunday. The Library @Westcroft will remain open to the public on Sundays on a self-service basis.
12. Where can I go to study whilst Sutton Library is closed?
People looking to study can visit one of the library branches for studying.