Schools Library Service
Merton Schools Library Service aims to increase the educational achievement of primary age pupils, to improve literacy skills and to foster a love of reading.
We can help your school by responding quickly to curriculum demands and save money, time and effort through the supply of quality project loans. The service also provides a thriving Library Support Sessions whereby experienced staff can give advice and practical support in improving school libraries and book corners.
Schools outside the borough of Merton can subscribe to the service.
More information can be found in our Service Level Agreement.
What we offer
Services provided include:
- Termly project boxes packed with resources to support teaching and promote learning.
- Advice and hands on support to develop and improve your school library.
- Reader development sessions.
- A book purchase scheme
- A telephone and email helpline service.
- Access to Merton's Heritage Service.
Andrew Fox and Caprice Goulding
157 London Road
Surrey CR4 2YR
Telephone: 020 8274 5795
Each subscribing school has an allocation of project boxes dependent on the package they buy, and the number of pupils in the school (minimum of 10 per school per term). Project boxes provide additional curriculum based resources in the classroom. Project box collections can be a mix of fiction and non-fiction to support specific areas of the curriculum and literacy work. Each box is made up individually to meet the request and may contain DVDs and/or full colour photo packs as well as books. We aim to supply between 20-30 items per box.
We now also offer a wide range of guided reading collections which can be ordered along with your project boxes.
It is possible for a school to renew a project box if you wish to continue to use it for the following term. This renewal is subject to the needs of other subscribing schools.
Projects may only be renewed for one extra term (i.e. after a 2 term agreed loan, projects should be returned). All projects should be returned in the summer term to allow maintenance and updating of the materials.
This popular service aims to give practical support in the maintenance or redevelopment of your school library or book corners.
We save you time in offering the following services:
- Support and advice on managing book stock
- Promotion and evaluation of your school library
- Support with new library design or "library makeovers"
- Pupil librarian recruitment and training
- Book banding
- Cataloguing of new or existing stock
These sessions are to encourage a love of reading within the school and can include story telling, introducing certain genres, books for boys and reluctant readers. Sessions can be tailored to the school's needs.
Subscribers are able to make use of the School Library Service Book Purchase Scheme, which will give you a 20% discount on most books purchased through our library supplier. These books can also be jacketed by the supplier at a cost of 20p per book.
The SLS is currently open 4 days a week from Tuesday to Friday and there is a 24-hour answer phone available to take your call. Emails are regularly checked and enquiries dealt with promptly.
Subscribers can gain access to Merton's Heritage offer for schools which includes
- FREE curriculum based class visits to your local library. These combine a talk, access to period artefacts, source materials and worksheets, or Q & A sessions. Session topics include: Tudor Merton, Victorian Merton, Childhood and Toys and My Local Area (the changing nature of land use, industry, housing, transport, entertainment and social make-up over the past 150 years).
- FREE tours of Merton's Local Studies Centre, based at Morden Library
- Discounted rates for borrowing artefact boxes.
- Discounted rates on provision of local studies display material
How to buy our services
For Merton schools, a Service Level Agreement is sent out before the end of each financial year for the school to state whether they want to subscribe to the School Library Service.
Non-subscribing schools can also use the SLS on a Pay as You Use basis
Requesting Project Boxes
Each subscribing school has an allocation of Project Boxes dependent on the package they buy and the number of pupils in the school (minimum of 10 per school per term). Each project is made up individually and may contain DVDs and/or teacher's worksheets as well as books. We aim to provide between 20-30 items per box.
Please fill in the online request form below to submit your requests.
If your school is not listed in the drop down menu, then you are not currently subscribed to Merton School Library Service.
Call the SLS to discuss your options on 020 8274 5908 or email to email@example.com
Local out of borough schools can use Merton School Library Service. Please call the SLS to discuss your options on 020 8274 5908 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org