Anyone can join the library. All you need is current proof of identity - and it's free. You can join online using the button below or at your local library. Check the list of acceptable proofs of identity and take your ID along to join or just drop in and see what we have to offer. If you are under 18 you will need the signature and proof of address of your parent or legal guardian to join the library.
To join the library you will need to bring with you proof of your name and address. Items from this list dated within the last 3 months are acceptable.
- gas, electricity, water or telephone bill
- bank or credit card statement
- pay slip
- TV or car tax reminder
- council tax letter
- pension advice
- full/provisional photocard driving licence
- Children and young people under 18 will need to have their card signed by a parent or guardian or responsible adult (e.g. grandparent) who must also provide proof of their own name and address. Young people who are 16-17 and cannot find a guarantor can identify someone else to vouch for them (e.g. employer, social worker, doctor or similar professional)
- Loan of books is free.
- Registered blind or partially-sighted people can borrow CDs and audio books free of charge.
- Daily fines are levied for any items returned or renewed late.
- Debts may be referred to a Debt Collection Agency. These will incur an additional charge of £10.
- Additional charges are made for the renewal or late return of items that have a hire fee.
- See our Fees and Charges Page for a current list of prices.
- Please note that once a reservation has been made the Reservation charges are not refundable, even if we cannot supply the item.
What can I borrow?
- 12 items for adults
- 12 items for children aged up to 11 (including 3 DVDs)
- Use our online library catalogue to see what we have in stock and keep up-to-date with our lists of new additions to stock.
How Long For?
- 3 weeks: Books, CDs, audio books and special interest DVDs
- 2 days: Top title DVDs
- I week: standard and feature DVDs
- Renewing your items is easy. Use our website to renew your items before they become overdue or contact your local library.
- Free internet access in all the libraries.
- Free Wi-Fi access in all the libraries.
- Regular events for all ages including coffee mornings, author book signings, reading groups, storytimes and exhibitions
- Reference collections in all libraries (smaller collections within the stock at branch libraries)
- The local studies and archives service is based in Bromley Central but all branch libraries have a collection of local history material relating to their area.