Bexley Library Service - Terms and Conditions of Library Membership
By joining Bexley Library Service and using your library card, you are agreeing to our terms and conditions which are listed below.
- 1. To join the library you must provide proof of ID and address, such as a bank card, National Insurance card, utility bill or driving license.
- 2. A parent or guardian must act as a guarantor for library membership for new members under the age of 18.
- 3. You must ensure we have up to date contact information for you, including your email address if applicable.
- 4. Once you have joined, you will be given a membership card and a PIN code. You must bring these with you each time you visit the library otherwise you may be refused access to our services. You must not use anyone else’s membership card number and/or PIN code.
- 5. Your membership card is for your own use only. You are responsible for:
- a. Keeping your membership card and PIN code safe and secure.
- b. Ensuring there is no improper use of your membership card and PIN code.
- c. Any items borrowed on your membership card.
- d. Lost/damaged items.
- e. Paying any overdue charges or other charges accrued on your card.
- 6. As you are responsible for all items borrowed on your membership card, you must report it to a member of staff if your card has been lost or stolen.
- 7. A charge will be made for lost membership cards, at the rate set annually by Bexley Council.
- 8. Unless otherwise agreed with you, when you join the Library Service, we will collect the minimum personal data required to deliver the service, which includes name, address, date of birth, telephone number and email address. It may also include personal information relating to gender, ethnicity, language and disability.
- 9. You may have a maximum of 12 items on loan at any one time. The standard loan period for books is 21 days (7 days for DVDs).
- 10. The full rental cost will be charged at the time of borrowing audio-visual items.
- 11. You must return or renew all borrowed items on or before the due date.
- 12. Renewals can be made in person, by phone, email, or online. Items which have been reserved by others cannot be renewed.
- 13. You are responsible for paying the replacement value, as assessed by the Library Service, of any item lost or damaged whilst on loan to you.
- 14. If you keep items after the due date you will be expected to pay any late fees that apply. Customers who fail to return overdue items or pay outstanding charges will be referred to a debt management company.
- 15. To use our public computers you must always have your membership card and PIN with you.
- 16. You must use our ICT systems responsibly. The use of information technology facilities within the library is governed by the Computer Misuse Act 1990, the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Digital Economy Act 2010.
- 17. You must observe copyright law when copying any library material, or any other material in the library, whether by photocopying or any other means.
- 18. If you no longer want to use the library you must return any items you have borrowed and hand in your membership card for cancellation. If there are any outstanding charges on your membership card you will be expected to pay them.
- 19. Library cards become invalid if not used to borrow items or use the public computers for two years.
- 20. You must treat all staff and fellow customers with respect and consideration. Excessive noise or disruptive mobile phone use are prohibited. You are asked to switch your mobile phones off or set them to silent mode in the library. Any calls should be made or taken, away from the quiet areas within the library.
- 21. Any furniture, fittings or equipment in a Bexley library must not be misused or their arrangement altered. Authorisation is required for the removal of any council property from the building.
- 22. Any damage or defacement of library materials is strictly prohibited. You are asked to report any instances of such defacement to library staff.
- 23. Only soft drinks and foods that do not cause a disturbance to other users of the library are permitted.
- 24. Smoking is not permitted in the library building or outside, near external doorways.
- 25. No material other than official notices from Bexley Council may be distributed within the library, without the permission of library staff.
- 26. Parents/carers remain responsible for the children in their care whilst in the library. Library staff will not take responsibility for children of any age left unattended in the library. Staff may contact Children’s Social Care if a child under ten is left alone or if there are concerns over a child’s wellbeing.
- 27. You should not reserve study places by leaving personal belongings at desks when you have left the building. Library staff may clear away belongings to allow others to use study places. Please note that any unattended belongings are left at the owner’s risk.
Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in the suspension or cancellation of your library membership.
These terms and conditions are made under the Public Libraries and Museums Act 1964 and Bexley Library Service’s Bye-laws.