If you like chatting about books, why not join one of the reading groups in Bexley's libraries? New members are always welcome.
Please contact your local Bexley library for more details
We'd love to hear your reading group's book news and reviews. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Library events and activities suspended
All Library events and activities are currently suspended. If you would like to be kept informed about our events and activities, once they start again, you can subscribe to our newsletters on the Council website.
Reading Groups in Bexley Libraries
Are you a keen reader and like to discuss the books you read? Bexley Libraries has a range of reading groups for adults and teenagers, including those living with a visual impairment.
|Central||Last Thursday of the month||5.45pm-6.45pm|
|Crayford||Third Wednesday of the month||10.00am-midday|
|Erith||Second Wednesday of the month||11.00am-midday|
|Sidcup||First Wednesday of the month||5.45pm-6.45pm|
|Thamesmead||Second Monday of the month||10.00am-11.00am|
|Welling||Second Friday of the month||10.15am-midday|
|Central||Third Thursday of the month||10.30am-11.30am|
|Sidcup||First Monday of the month||10.30am-11.30am|
Reading Group for the Visually Impaired
We host a reading group for the visually impaired at Central Library, Bexleyheath on the first Wednesday of each month from 10.30am-midday.
For more information please contact us.
Other Reading Groups for Adults
- Central Library host the ‘Book Bound Book Club’ on the second Thursday of the month from where members can discuss a specific book and other books that they’ve read in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Sidcup Library host a ‘Crime and Thriller Reading Group’ on the second Saturday of the month at 2.30pm.
- For Jane Austen lovers, there is also a ‘Jane Austen Reading Group’ which meets at Welling Library on alternate Thursdays from 1.15pm-2.30pm.
- Welling Library also host an informal reading group called ‘Book Marks’ where members can discuss their latest reads and pass on recommendations. This group meets on the first Wednesday of the month from 10.00am-11.00am.
- Love Poetry? Join the Poetry group at Welling Library from 2.30-4pm on alternate Saturdays for friendly chat and discussion about all types of poetry.
For more information about any of these groups, when the next meeting will be held or how to join, please contact the library or visit our Regular Events for Adults Page.
Running your own reading group
If you already run, are part of, or are looking to starting your own local reading group we can provide book group sets free of charge from our collection of over 100 titles.
The book sets can be delivered to any of our libraries for you to collect.
For more information about setting up a group please contact us.
Reading Groups recommend…
From classics to crime to contemporary fiction, our book groups love discovering different things to read and passing on their recommendations.
The Central Library Reading Group recommend ‘The Colour’ by Rose Tremain.
Joseph and Harriet Blackstone emigrate from Norfolk to New Zealand in search of new beginnings and prosperity. But the harsh landscape threatens to destroy them almost before they begin.
“We loved this book… it was a well written & captivating novel about hardship and hope in 1860’s New Zealand. It’s reflecting Colonial settlements and the Gold rush with a presence of Maori mysticism. A brilliant read!”
BBC Radio 2 Book Club – Profiles, clips and features from the popular radio show…
BBC Radio 4 Book Club – Author interviews, ideas, discussions…
New Books Magazine – Reviews and ideas for reading groups and general readers alike.
The Reading Club – Everything you need to know about setting up and running a reading group, plus features, guides and activities.
Any views expressed by contributors to these sites should not be taken to reflect the views of the Council.