Bexley Local Studies and Archives Centre Volunteer Role Description
Libraries, Heritage and Archives
Local Studies and Archives Centre Staff
To assist Centre staff in providing greater access to the collections held.
Bexley Local Studies and Archives Centre based at Central Library, Bexleyheath.
Open from Monday to Saturday.
With guidance from library staff to:
- List collections
- Sort materials, e.g. photographs, documents, postcards, press clippings, etc.
- Label archives
- Scan images on to computer
- Undertake some historical research
Skills and experience
- Interest in family and/or local history
- Good communication skills
- Polite, friendly and helpful manner
- Good organisational skills
- Commitment to equal opportunities and diversity
- Reliable and dependable
- Well-presented and able to positively represent the Library Service
- This is a role that required a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective delivery of the event
Offer to volunteer
- Experience volunteering in a library setting and as part of a team
- Gain confidence in dealing with members of the public
- Improve your customer care skills
- Experience to show on your CV
- Reference provided
Volunteers will receive an induction to the Centre and appropriate training will be given. Volunteers in this role will need to able to carry out tasks independently but with guidance from staff.