It's free to join the library, borrow books and use the PCs. Many regular events in our libraries are also free. You can borrow 12 items at a time and can return these to Central Library Bexleyheath, Crayford Library, Erith Library, Sidcup Library, Thamesmead Library and Welling Library, or any branch within the London Libraries Consortium. In addition, you can borrow 2 e-Books.
Joining the Bexley Libraries
Using the Library
Anyone can join the library. It's free to join and there's no age limit. You don't need to live in Bexley. Just fill in a membership form at one of our libraries and show us proof of your ID which includes your address.
If you can't provide proof of address, you can still join and borrow 3 items. Please ask library staff for details.
If you have additional needs you can borrow Books on CD free of charge. Please bring proof of your disability or a letter from a doctor or social worker on your first library visit.
If you're under 18, a parent or guardian will also need to sign the form for you as guarantor. We'll need to see proof of their ID, which includes their address. If you are 14 – 17 years old and cannot find a guarantor, or if you have no ID, someone else can vouch for you (i.e. employer, social worker, doctor or similar professional). They must be over 18 and will need to sign a printed joining form available from any library and provide a letter on headed notepaper confirming your details.
You can also join online. Your Library Card and a key fob will be posted to you and will be ready to use as soon as you receive them. You will need to bring proof of ID on your first visit, when you will also be given your PIN.
If you just want to use the e-Books service, check the ‘e-Books service only' option under ‘Which library will you use most?' and remember to give us your email address. We'll then email your library card number and PIN to you.
If you are under 18 you will need a parent or guardian to complete part of the form, as guarantor, and show proof of their ID on your first visit.
There are many events in our libraries, from toddlertimes, storytimes and children's activities in the holidays, to Reading Groups, computers to use and thousands of books, DVDs and Audio books to borrow.
What other facilities does the library offer?
- Colour photocopiers
- A fax service
- A selection of newspapers and magazines
- Local history publications for sale
- Stamps, caddy bags and reusable garden waste sacks for sale
- Display boards, available for hire by local artists or groups, at several libraries
- A hall for hire at Crayford Library
- Meeting rooms for hire at Erith Library, Sidcup Library, Welling Library and Central Library, Bexleyheath
You can find out about local events by looking at the notice boards in our libraries.
If your rubbish bin wasn't emptied, we can report that for you. You can apply for parking permits and we can arrange for your unwanted furniture and other items to be collected from your home.
How do I reserve an item?
- Log in to your account by entering your library card number and PIN number in the My Account boxes on the right of the page
- Use the Search box to find the item you want to reserve
- When you find the item you want, click the ‘Reserve' button
- Choose the library you want to collect the book from
- Click on Save
- If you need the item by a specific date, you can use the ‘Valid to' option to choose that date (just click in the box and type the date) If the item is not available by this date your hold will be cancelled.
Do I have to pay to reserve an item?
If you are an adult, there is a charge for requesting items. Please see ‘Fees and Charges' for more details. Children may request books free of charge.
This charge is an administrative fee and is payable even if we cannot supply the item.
How will I know when my item is ready to be collected?
If you are an adult, we'll let you know by post when your item is ready to be collected.
If you are a child, a notice will be displayed in the library when your request is ready to be collected. You can also check on your website account. Here you will see a list of the items you have reserved. For adults, if an item is showing as available and you have not yet received a letter from us, it's best to call to make sure the item is ready for you before travelling to the library (you can contact us on 020 8303 7777 – option 4)
Can I cancel a reservation?
You can cancel a reservation by logging into your account.
Teachers, child-minders, early years’ practitioners and home educators who work with children in Bexley are entitled to a special ticket to support their work with children.
- Borrow up to 12 books
- 2 month loan period
- No daily fines on children's books (but daily fines will be charged on any adult book returned late).
- Free reservations on children's books
- Available from Central Library Bexleyheath, Crayford Library, Erith Library, Sidcup Library, Thamesmead Library or Welling Library
To obtain a privilege ticket, bring an acknowledgment letter from your place of work, or relevant paperwork (e.g. child-minders certificate / letter from the Home Education Liaison Officer confirming you are registered as a home educator).
You will also need proof of personal ID, address and signature. (Or your Bexley library card if you are already a member).
You are personally responsible for all books issued on your privilege ticket.