All six of the Council Libraries have reopened. Please note that the services we are able to provide and opening hours are limited. The first floor at Central Library and the Local Studies and Archives Centre remain closed at the current time but see below for details of the Local Studies and Archives Centre reopening on an appointment only basis.
Central Library is currently not open on Sundays and late night openings at libraries have ceased. Visit the Opening Hours
page for more information.
The following services are on offer:
From 9.30am – 12.30pm daily at Central Library, Crayford Library, Erith Library, Sidcup Library and Welling Library:
- Book borrowing, renewing and returns using our self-service kiosks.
- Catalogue PCs will be available to search for books.
- Staff are not available to assist with queries. You may see colleagues managing door entry and wiping down surfaces to keep our environment as clean as possible.
From 12.30pm to closing time daily at all libraries:
- In addition to book borrowing, renewing, returns and searching on the catalogue.
- Staff are available at our counters to help with library account queries including placing and collection of reservations, joining new members and taking card payments for any account charges (no cash will be taken).
- At Central Library, staff will be happy to fetch books from the first floor.
- Limited public computers will be available in the afternoons only and these will need to be pre-booked by telephone using 020 8303 7777 and asking for ‘libraries’. The computers will be available for essential purposes only, such as benefit claims. A 30 minute slot can be pre-booked.
- Purchase of caddy bags – due to the ongoing impact of the pandemic on the Council’s operations, when our current stocks run out, further stocks may not be available.
Please note that when visiting our libraries;
- A face covering must be worn for the duration of your visit, unless you are medically exempt.
- We may need to restrict access to the library at times. Customers will be asked to wait outside before entering if the library becomes too busy.
- Use the hand sanitizer available near to the entrance of each library. It is also available for use before and after touching the self-service kiosks.
- You should allow a 2-meter gap between you and other customers or our colleagues.
- You should follow the one way flow – arrows have been placed on the floor to guide the way.
- You should only enter an aisle if there is nobody else in it.
- If you pick up a book and don’t want to borrow it, please do not put it back on the shelf – place it in one of the book containers provided
- You should make your visit as brief as possible. It isn’t currently possible to sit and read or study in the library.
- Public toilets are not currently available.
- We can only accept card payments – we are unable to accept cash payments at present.
These measures have all been put in place to keep our libraries as safe as possible. We all have a role to play in keeping safe – please do your bit by:
- Using hand sanitizer.
- ‘Catch it, bin it, kill it’ - coughing or sneezing into a tissue and disposing of it in a bin
- Not visiting the library if you are feeling unwell. Customers may be asked to leave if colleagues are concerned about any infection risk.
You can view a short video
which explains how the restrictions work.
We will update this page with more news as it becomes available.
Last Updated - 25th August 2020